I have been busy....

I know, it's difficult to believe, but I have been really busy over the last couple of weeks.  Which is why, I haven't managed to blog, do stuff or blog, not both!!
Fleece sorting Saturday 0019Firstly, as a footnote to my last entry, the fleeces that Carol M brought me were Ryeland, they can be seen here in the green bags at the bottom of the photo.  This was yesterday, sorting all the fleeces I had acquired in the sunshine.  In addition to my 2 Ryelands there were a TexelxShetland cross, 2 beautiful Katmogets.  One,white drifting into blues and blacks on the extrmities and the second, cream drifting into cappachinos. I suspect I shall sitting down one warm afternoon fairly soon and sorting into different colours for processing and spinning, as I would really love a proper Fair Isle cardy.  The Ryelands have been sectioned already, so I can make myself a cute black and white waistcoat with pockets for working in in the winter.  For some reason clothes manufacturers these days assume that tops and skirts/ dresses don't require working pockets!  ~Sigh.  By the by, I acquired the Shetlands and  Texel x Shetlands on my annual pilgrimage to spin in the sheering shed of the Bath and West show.  It was really great fun, but I spent the next couple of days in a bit of a state, but to meet up with good friends and come home with such lovely fleece it was as ever worth it.
treasures from Herrings & ebay 0003Which brings me to my other outing.... Together with the lovely Nita, DH nipped off down to Dorchester a couple of weekends ago to pop into Frank Herrings.  Whilst not the cheapest place to shop, when stuff is needed in a hurry and also you need to see things in the flesh so to speak, it does make a nice day out. The yarn was vastly reduced, and matches some that I spun not so long ago, so we shall see where that leads.  I now have the correct sized temple to weave Mother's scarf (long story, not repeatable here....) and the shuttle is an exceptionally light one, which I am looking forward to trying out.  The Turkish Spindle is made from Cocobolo wood and is an eBay purchase at about the same time.  Whilst quite heavy for it's size (8" & 58 gms).  I'm hoping to take it on holiday with me together with some black and white Ryeland
bats.....
Cashmere scard on Rigid heddle 0004In addition, I've been busy finishing bits of knitting and weaving, including this cashmere scarf which I started ages ago.  It's nearly finished now as I realised that I need it completed by the end of the month for Aunt C's 100 birthday.... oops!  I'm quite pleased with the way it's turning out but I could have done with a temple at the start.  Ah well, now I've various heddle sizes to choose from and the appropriate temple, I suspect I have this particular problem sorted.

More later.... 

Comments

Joansie said…
Well, at least, you are feeling well and getting things done. I don't recognize those tools you have pictured. Must be a craft that I don't do.
Yarnspider said…
Oops!
Going clockwise from the top, a turkish drop spindle(very useful as it winds it's own centre pull balls as you spin!), a weaving shuttle, the bobbin in the middle unwinds itself as it is passed through the warp, and a temple (it holds the woven cloth at a set width whilst you weave.