Like a glacier,

IMAG0373I move remarkably slowly when it comes to my weaving.  No particularly frightening reason, it's just the way it goes.  I laugh openly in a mocking manner when I read all these books that explain how there should be at least 1 more person to help you (and which cupboard are they kept in for the rest of the time?) and that one should always, always, without fail, slay your loom in one day. Ha!  Like that will ever happen.  But I trickle along in my own time (which runs parallel and at a different speed to everyone else by the way, I have to think this or I would sob!) and slowly, but surely the job will be done! 

IMAG0380This does have it's advantages, I never know from one end to the other quite how any one project will turn out (broad stokes yes, specifics, no.) But have the leasure to tweak as I go.  Sometimes this is good, others not so.  This time, good.  The background colour is actually green (no, really!) and on it's own was just. Too. Dull for words, and I happened to look about my workshop and low and behold - rainbows!  (Really, it is so!)  I shall share my discovery.  This piece of cloth should be about 4 metres long once completed, so I was measuring a 5 metre warp.  Did you know that the colour change on Kauni yarn is approx 5 metres?  Neither did I, but I do now.....  Now, before you mock, This is what it now looks like - it works see!  Really, it does....  (OK, so I should have taken pics in daylight, hate to dissappoint, but I did!) 
So, whilst it takes me a disproportionately long time to get the warp onto my loom, it rarely takes me too long to weave it.  As long as I like it.  And I like this....  So I suppose once the presents are wrapped and the dressmaking dragged back to manageable proportions I should really start to measure the next warp....

Comments