Observations and comments on fibre, yarn, knitting and other less important subjects....
Wednesday, 19 October 2011
I have been busy, so there!!
Finally! I have managed to get co-ordinated enough to show you all what I have been up to. First off is the "ther be Dragons" waistcoat. I am so pleased with this it has come out beautifully. Only one weeny issue, I have lost several inches since I C/O and consequently, DH now has a fantastic waistcoat! Here it is, waiting for buttons to be applied. It was knitted from the Kauni Yarn I had left over from my Vlindervest to my own pattern.
To make myself feel better about the whole thing, I made myself a chupa from some truly splendid Italian woolen suiting fabric that I picked up from EBay a couple of months ago. the nicest thing being, it is very forgiving size wise so I should be cosy for the winter with this one. The hem is not quite where I want it, so at the moment, it's sitting on Mavis, waiting for adjustment.
In March, I promised Mother I would weave her a scarf - no problem there, nor was the pattern she chose or the materials (Silk and Cashmere). The problem arrives with the loom I put it on. Turns out that with right should playing silly twits I can't work the lifting of the heddles myself (hence its October and I'm still at it!) But Help arrived this week in the form of DH who finally worke4d out what I had been trying to tell him and offered to be my Dobby, so I managed more in one hour than I had in the previous six months - hooray! Another couple of sessions and it will be done. As it is so fine, I think I may just double up the cashmere weft and knit a plain back to support it.
In the meanwhile, I've been doing a little rigid heddle weaving, which is turning out really well and I can't wait to be finished. The warp is hand spun silk yarn and the weft Falklands single. I suspect there is going to be lots of Falklands left, I think I may just ply it back on itself and use it to make more fabric. Both. in the end will be used to make DH & #1Son a waistcoat each (I must be nuts!). Whilst Freyalyn was down, she spoiled me with a couple of hundred grams of a fabulous mix of extra soft wool and alpaca. It really didn't take me long to think of the baby camel and silk fibre that I dyed up a couple of years ago and this is the result. A fabulous marled yarn that is light and snugly. Maybe I shall get my dream waistcoat after all.